Monday, April 19, 2010

Braden's Race for Life and Miracle Mile

Braden Hofen is a five year old boy/warrior that has been struggling with neuroblastoma for some two years. Aggressive treatments initially led to the disease entering remission, but just a few months later it returned and now the prognosis is unfortunately not optimistic. Despite this, Braden's fighting spirit has endured and the hope is still there that he will respond to the treatments and can somehow beat the odds.

I don't personally know Braden, nor his mother Deliece, she also now struggling with recently diagnosed breast cancer, father Brian or brother Zach. However, it emerged that Jill's sister knows Deliece, a school principal, having worked with her previously, and it was she that suggested we take part in the inaugural Braden's Race For Life and Miracle Mile, put on by Ben and Sophia of the Trail Nerds. Although the idea for the race only came about two months ago, signups exceeded expectations, buoyed by the cause and the spirit of the Hofens, and by Sunday, a remarkable 1,600+ were signed up to run or walk in one of three events; a mile, 5k and 10k. Jill and I signed up for the 10k.

The information on childhood cancers is tragically limited. 'Hope' was the key theme of the day and, written in block letters on the event t-shirts that almost everyone seemed to be wearing, it undoubtedly applied to Braden's particular case. However, there's no doubt it also had a broader meaning. The long-term hope will be for diagnosis and treatment options to be adequately funded and recognized moving forward. Deliece, in one of several speeches made to the gathered crowds, mentioned how within 2 days of being diagnosed with breast cancer she had a firm action plan, but for Braden, not only did it take a long time for him to even be correctly diagnosed, the treatment options were in many cases either limited or experimental, a gulf that has to be addressed.

Many, if not most organized races are for a good cause, and power to them all. For some reason, though, this one, to me, seemed closer to home, more intimate, more real. It could have been the fact that the Hofens were on hand, including the pint-sized star himself, to speak with passion and conviction about their son and his illness. It might have been the fact that almost everyone seemed to know them, or know someone that did. It might be that everyone knew someone with cancer. It might even be as simple as everyone knowing someone with a child.

Whatever the combination of factors, it was a moving, inspiring, and, yes, life-affirming occasion. It was also an extremely well organized one. The food and refreshments were great. There was a very extensive silent auction (Jill and I managed to win a weekend at the Crowne Plaza, which will work out great as our wedding hotel), and even a raffle for a guitar signed by KC American Idol David Cook. No-one would have held it against the race directors if there were problems, given the compressed time frame with which they had to work, but as far as I could tell, other than a somewhat congested race course (again, they hadn't anticipated such a big response), everything seemed to go flawlessly.

It's funny, but the atmosphere was so good that in the end, the races, particularly the 5k and 10k, almost seemed beside the point. Still, after the parade-like stroll of the Miracle Mile was done and dusted, Jill and I, along with about 90 other 10k-ers and 400 or so 5k-ers, lined up near the front of the pack for our race, Ben blew a horn and off we went.

The run was an out and back, mainly on trails, that reminded me a lot of those I ran on for the Gobbler Grind, though they were a little more challenging, with a few short, but relatively steep bumps. I started fast - for a while I thought maybe too fast - and settled into something of a rhythm as we rounded a field and entered the trail portion. I figured I was in about 7th or 8th place at this point, but also knew that at least some of those in front of me were most likely running the 5k so my actual position was probably a little higher.

I told Jill going in that my hope was that I could crack the top 10 for the first time, and after the 5k-ers ahead of me had turned around I knew I was well into that and was actually pretty certain I was in 4th. Once again, I feared I'd set off too quickly and my legs felt rather heavy for a while, but I managed to run through it and by mile 3 and the turnaround I felt pretty good. I wasn't closing on the guy in front of me but I had seemed to pull away from those behind. I grabbed a cup of water and headed back.

I started passing the 10k-ers still on their way out. There was a decent gap between me and 5th place, and as I ran on, many of those I passed shouted encouraging words as I went by, including Jill, who looked pretty comfortable herself and confirmed that I was in 4th. Not long after, the line of people going the other way thinned out, then it was just me and some open trail, perhaps my favorite part of the run. I felt the most comfortable at this point and a glance behind told me I had a good lock on 4th place. I also realized for the first time that I was gaining on the guy in front.

A bridge was followed by a quick turn and then, almost without being conscious of it, I was on the 3rd place guy's shoulder. I stayed there for a while, gathering myself for a burst, then after maybe 20-30 seconds went past and upped the speed a little, hoping I had enough left in the tank for the finish. A third of a mile later, and I was back at the 5k turnaround point.

Lots of 5kers, mainly walkers, were still on the course, and the next mile or so was a challenging weave through crowds. I shouted 'Scuse me' as I approached, but mostly I had to do the dodging. I think perhaps in my haste to get through without injuring myself or anyone else, I actually was forced to speed up a bit, so it might not all have been a bad thing. Still, I was running right at my limits, so the finish was certainly not going to come a second too soon.

Finally, I could hear the crowd at the start and I popped out of the woods and into the open where I rounded the field back to the start/finish. I was pretty much out of gas, but managed to drain the last of it to propel myself into the final stretch and across the finish line. I was well behind 2nd place, but well ahead of 4th; a solid 3rd; my first "placement", and a PB of 41:51; 6:44 pace. I even won some prizes - another first.

I waited at the finish for Jill, who came in at 1:07:32, some 10 minutes faster than at Rock The Parkway! She was well pleased. We hung around for a good hour or so afterwards, listening to Deliece, Sophia and others tell stories, both heartwarming and heartbreaking, and enjoying the weather and festivities.

All in all, a great race, but a greater cause. Braden's future is uncertain, but the race seems destined to become a key event in the fight against childhood cancers. Backed by the first-rate organization of the race directors and sponsors, year one, at least from what I could see, couldn't have gone much better. Doesn't that show you that all things are possible?

Hope.

If you wish to make a donation, you can do so here.

No comments: