Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One year (and a bit) on

OK, so I think it's time I started this back up again.

It was 3 months before I stopped limping after the Arizona marathon, and almost 6 before I could run again. Initially diagnosed a muscle tear, it was actually a stress fracture - apparently quite a bad one given how long it took to recover. Still, once I got back into it, I soon got back into rhythm, and was even able to finish a marathon (this time both legs intact) before the end of the year. Below are the events I competed in.

September 19, 2009 - 4 Mile KC Zoo Run "For The Chimps". 32:24. 8:06 pace.
Took 2 minutes off last year's time. I was pleased with the run; was really the first time I'd tried to push the pace since "coming back"
October 17, 2009 - Kansas City Half Marathon - 1:49:21. 8:21 pace.
Really attractive course. Early traffic slowed me somewhat, but was able to complete the last 10 miles in 8:02 pace for a PR race time at that distance.
November 22, 2009 - Gobbler Grind Marathon - 4:06:36. 9:25 pace.
So, finally, the do-over. Felt very comfortable for about 19 miles, then bonked hard at a vicious little hill around mile 20. After that, it was a walk-run into the finish. I probably was a shade undertrained or I think I could have cracked 4 hours. Obviously pleased I didn't have to make a beeline for an ER this time though.

That brings us, more or less, to 2010, and on to the next challenge...

No comments: