Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Winter

What a winter. Gary Lezak said it's been 27 days since the last day of 45 degrees or above here in the metropole. I've never known anything like it in the 15 years I've been in this hallowed land. We've also had 28 or so inches of snow through the season, including one that kept us inside on Christmas Day. Average is 12 inches, and it's only just now mid-February!

Hasn't stopped me running though. In fact, I've used the runs as my way of showing the proverbial middle finger to the elements. I remember the 15 mile run I did in 7 degree weather when my chin was so numb you could have stuck a needle in it and I wouldn't have known. I remember the 7 mile run I did in -2 degree weather (I wore a scarf that time at least) - and I remember slogging through 10 miles of snow in yaktrax, with their signature crunch the only noise - even drivers stayed home that day.

But most of all I remember the trail runs. After the marathon in November, I was looking for a fresh challenge. Trail running became it. I figured one of the best ways to prevent stress fractures was to mix up the surfaces on which I ran, and head to softer ground. Sure, you can run on the little grassy areas you see on some streets, but that's not really "roughing it" - plus you get weird looks.

Then I found the Trail Nerds. These nutty folks, led by "Bad" Ben Holmes, run in the snow, rain, ice, 100 degree heat and the pitch black through rough single-track, mountain bike and bridle trails throughout KC. I was intrigued, and joined them for a 10 mile trek at Wyandotte County Park up north, which was the running equivalent of being dunked in an ice bath. It was a shock to the system, and possibly one of the hardest runs I can remember in my life. I was immediately hooked, and not long after, signed up for a 20 mile run over the same trails in February - a run I just completed (more info to follow).

So I've mixed my runs. Short, faster runs during the week on the roads, long hard slogs up and down hilly trails at the weekend. I've run through a foot of snow when even deer are giving me weird looks (not that much fun), and I've ended up lost, flat on my face or with a shoe full of icy water more times than I can count. When running alone, it's one of the most isolating experiences I can think of, but it's also one of the most intensely focusing, and, ultimately most rewarding.

So, with that, I have decided to start this ole blog back up - as before, it's really just for me to keep track and keep motivated. I'll post race reports, maybe the occasional interesting (to me at least) vignette and that, as they say, will be that. We will start with the race I just completed last weekend, the Trail Nerds signature event, and 6th Annual RUN TOTO RUN.

No comments: