Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Eve of the Marathon

In about 10 hours, give or take a few minutes, I'll be sweating my first few steps on the Phoenix streets. I'm expecting a painful first mile or two, though I have to say my leg has felt better today than it has in a while, which is encouraging. As long as things loosen up by mile 4 or 5, I'll be happy.

Today went quicker than I expected. Jill and I drove the Half-Marathon route (having done the marathon route yesterday), attended the Scottsdale Artwalk, enjoyed a relaxing swim in the OUTDOOR pool, and ate at the ever-reliable Olive Garden. Finally we came back to the hotel, pinned our numbers on our shirts, attached our tags and laid out tomorrow's gear. So, not much down time, though it wasn't overly taxing physically.

The nerves are well and truly here. I can feel the old ticker going double time already. Sleep might be hard to come by, though I do actually feel quite tired, so I might get lucky. Either way, we'll need to be on the road by about 5am, so it's not like I'm going to get that many hours anyway. To be honest, I'm grateful for the early start. Anything to reduce the tossing, turning and fretting.

No comments: