Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Final Total

Barring any surprise last-minute donations, the final total is in for the fundraising. My friends and family came through and we've managed to raise $1,250 for cancer research; more than double the original target. I might do another marathon one day, but I will never do another "first marathon", however it goes, so I really felt it was key to capitalize on the uniqueness of the event and make it about more than just a personal indulgence. I'll be able to look back with pride that I wasn't the only one to benefit from my race. If I fail, that fact will be of great comfort to me as I lick - or maybe ice - my wounds. If I succeed, the combination of the realization of a dream I've had since childhood and the fact that I raised a significant sum of money for something truly worthwhile will surely rank as one of my life's finest experiences.

No comments: