Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Intolerable Odor

Mapmyrun.com has added a new feature to its training log application. In addition to being able to register the quality and effort level of your workout, you are now able to track your "odor level". I have to admit, this did encourage the corners of my mouth to set a northerly heading. Is this something people are keen to look back on and reminisce about? Ah yes... that was the day I smelled like a dead cat. Ah, that was before I'd discovered this thing the natives call deodorant.

Maybe I shouldn't kid. These websites listen to their subscribers, so possibly they'd been getting a lot of requests for ming-tracking. I don't know. I'm not saying I smell like a pine forest after a heavy rain when I come in from a hard seven miler, but I have this new-fangled contraption called a "shower" that seems to remedy the issue. Perhaps I'm missing something, or unaware of some odorific condition that afflicts people only when they run.

The options you can select for your level of poopypantsia ranges from "no odor" to "intolerable". Full disclosure: there have been times on a run where I've been aware of being less than lemony fresh, but intolerable? Can you really picture someone throwing up their hands half way through their run and yelling "That's IT. I can't take one more step. The smell is simply intolerable." I want to know who's marking their run odor this way. Are they taking a dip in a bath of rotten milk before they set out? Do they wrestle hogs? Clean Johnny-on-the-Spots?

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm a bit restless. Only 8 days left, and I suspect this week will be a slow one. My odor and me will be back on the roads tomorrow, but don't be surprised if I post again before then. You've been warned.

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: