Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Cause

It's occurred to me several times during training that it might be a nice idea to make my first marathon mean a little more than simply my own wish fulfilment. I did a little research into various causes that I could perhaps look to raise money for, but generally found myself stymied by the fact that the cause simply wasn't something that resonated with me. Don't get me wrong, most charities are highly worthwhile, but I think for me to embrace the idea of fundraising would require on my part a certain emotional investment.

I then received a packet in the mail from "Make Cures Happen", where the process is simple, and most importantly of all, was for a cause I really felt strongly about. Specifically, it raises money for research into the deadly trio of leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. One of my friends died from multiple myeloma a few years ago. It's a vicious, aggressive and painful illness. So it wasn't difficult for me to set up a fundraising page and get the ball rolling.

I know this blog is rarely traveled by any but me, but if any of you happen to stumble upon this while looking for blogs about string theory, Obama's White House puppy choice or Ramen Noodles, I'd like to invite you to check out my fundraising page and make a small (or large) donation. The address is http://www.active.com/donate/mcharizona/halkysmarathon. All donations are tax deductible, and you would earn my undying gratitude.

I will be posting this link at the bottom of all my subsequent posts, along with a link to this blog entry. I have set a $500 goal, which I hope to reach by race day, so again, anything you can do would be very much appreciated.

No comments: