Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Monthly Log 12/31/08

Number of Runs: 17
Total Distance: 151.22 miles
Total Time: 23:43:12
Longest Run: 20.04 miles
Avg Distance: 8.90 miles
Avg Time: 1:23:42
Avg Pace: 9:24/mile
Medical: Calves, right shin, sore nipples
Events: None


Another month comes to an end; my last full one before the big day. No races, but plenty of distance records, and despite some weather reschedules and some minor niggles, I only missed two short runs.

The month started with a 15 miler, a challenging run in the early morning cold. A minor calf strain resulted, but an extra day off seemed to do the trick and it hasn't flared up in a while now despite the continual building of mileage. The right shin has been iffy on and off, but any pain hasn't ever increased to a worrying level, so the "devil I know" is still just that and nothing more. I noted the sore nipples. At one point, they actually bled, so I finally took them seriously and bought some medical tape. The last few runs, including Sunday's 20 miler, I've taped them up and they're no longer an issue.

Ice and snow were intermittently factors, but in fact, I've been fairly lucky. All my major long runs are in the books except for one 13 miler this weekend (and early reports are that the weather will be fine then too).

In many ways, I'm struggling to come up with anything interesting to say, and in marathon training 'uneventful' is almost always good. My pace was solid, slightly faster than November, again despite longer average run distances. My shoes held up well. I learned that GU tastes way better in the heat of the run than it does as an impromptu dessert food. Not exactly riveting stuff eh? Good.

The highlight was probably the 20 mile run. 20 miles is something that requires concentration, application and a certain stubbornness. At the beginning, you feel good, but there's so much in front of you it's almost something you don't want to think about. About half way, there's the aspect of knowing that as far as you've already run, and with fatigue already somewhat of a factor, you still have that same distance ahead of you. Towards the end, the challenge is simply to keep going and try as best you can to ignore all the signals your body is sending you to stop. It's an episodic, phase-like progression, and one that I'd imagine closely replicates the marathon experience itself. For me, getting through it, and getting through it healthy was essential. Having run twice since without repercussions, things look good on that front, so now it's simply about staying on my feet and not doing anything stupid.

I think it was about mid-September the first time I really thought about doing the Arizona marathon. At that time, it was 110-120 days away. I knew I'd tried before and failed, and I knew that I was two years younger then even. I knew my shins were already slightly tender, and I knew I was too heavy. In other words, best intentions notwithstanding, I really had no idea if I'd make it to the start line. Now, that 110-120 days is down to 18 (and only 15 before I fly to Phoenix). I've done eight runs of 10+ miles (having done zero before then), and I'm virtually pain free. I've raised $705 for charity, with more expected. I've got my race number... this thing... it's really going to happen!

Happy New Year!

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: