Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Daily Log 12/10/08

Distance: 4.00 miles
Time: 40:00
Pace: 10:00/mile
Weight: 196lbs
Terrain: Treadmill, Incline 1.0
Temperature: Indoors
Gear: KC Royals tech shirt, Adidas shorts, Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes
Hydration: None
Fuel: None
Medical: Right calf
Recovery: Stretches, Aleve, ice
Shoe Mile Count: 169.58 miles
Days until Marathon: 39


In the end, it was far warmer than predicted today, so I probably could have waited a while and run on the roads, but that's OK. A treadmill run wasn't the worst idea for a recovery. Running on a treadmill is not as harsh on your legs as the roads, obviously, because the machine is padded so the impact isn't as great. Also, running with no incline is the equivalent of running a little downhill outside because of the movement of the belt, so to counter that I set a small incline of 1%. I didn't mess with it after that; no point pushing things on a short run. Finally, I set the pace at an easy 10:00/mile. In the end, it was perhaps the least taxing run I've done throughout this entire endeavor.

My right calf felt somewhat tight for a while, but other than that, I really felt no ill effects from Sunday's biggie, so pretty encouraging there.

Although I had a nice view of a snowy landscape topped with sunny skies outside, and Anthony Bourdain on TV drinking caipirinhas in Sao Paolo inside, I'm a clockwatcher when it comes to treadmills, and, accordingly, every second seemed to drag. Signs are good that the weather will continue to be stable over the next few days, so hopefully this will be the only time this week that I have to resort to "plan B"

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: