Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Shoe Reality

It seems almost unbelievable to me that a pair of shoes I wore for the first time a little over 2 months ago already have 260+ miles on them. If I complete my final training runs as planned, another 60 would go on them by the race. Opinion is divided as to how long a pair of running shoes should be worn... the weight of the owner, the economy of the person's stride and the quality of the shoes themselves are all factors. What seems clear however is that mine will have many more miles on them than is advisable for a race of 26.2 miles. After doing some research, although not everyone agrees on the optimum wear to have on a pair of race shoes, I haven't found a single one that said you should run a marathon with more than 150 miles on them, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new pair.

Given how successful the current pair are, I intend getting the exact same ones again, and will wear them for my middle distance and long runs from now until the race, keeping my old ones for the shorter distances. That should break them in without wearing them down, and leave me in good shape. Pains me to spend the money, but it would pain me more if my legs were to break down at mile 15 because I'm running in worn out shoes.

Who was it said that running was a cheap hobby? Give me his address so I can T.P. his house.

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: