Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Headliner

The Rock n' Roll Marathon Series lives up to its name by stationing bands at every mile of the course for both the marathon and half (if both are being run). Mostly these are local cover bands and comprise a wide range of musical styles, not just the eponymous one. In addition, each Rock n' Roll Marathon - currently there are eight with several more in the works - puts on an evening concert after the race, usually featuring a relatively popular band. Participants are given free entry and of course tickets are sold to non-participants.

In Arizona, previous bands have been, quite frankly, rather drab in my opinion. I'm sure there are fans of the Goo Goo Dolls, Jason Mraz and... yes... even Kool and the Gang out there, but had it been one of those this year, I'd have been quite happy to apply balm to my bunions in the hotel room and skip the evening festivities.

However, they recently announced this year's headliner, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was the popular rockers Smash Mouth. No, they're not someone I'd sell a kidney to go and see. It's not Metallica circa the Black Album, nor is it Guns n' Roses before Slash left and Axl went nuts. But it is a band with more than one hit whose music I like enough to limp down to the stadium to watch. However, as I said to Jill, I doubt I'll be doing too much 'Walking on the Sun'. I think at that point, I'll almost certainly rather 'Sit on my bum'.

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: