Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Alternate Realities

No running today, as planned, but I think signs are pretty good that I'll head back out tomorrow. The calf seems more or less back to normal, aside from a slight stiffness, but I thought an extra day's rest was still probably a good idea, and the blustery weather made the decision even easier.

I watched a program last night on the Science Channel where presumably intelligent individuals posited on the theory that there exist multiple dimensions where we are all living out our lives at the same time as this one, and are subject to some or all of the same laws of physics. As the number of dimensions are potentially infinite, that would suggest that in one, I am the President of the USA (the constitution presumably containing an amendment that allows an unqualified Brit to assume such a position). In another, I'm a serial killer, and in still another, I'm *shudder* Richard Simmons.

That being the case, it would be nice if I could steal one of my equivalents for this current task. Perhaps the one who's the fastest marathoner alive, or the one who never gets injured would be a good place to start. I wouldn't want to be them forever you understand. I like hamburgers, alcohol and free time too much. It'd simply be nice to borrow them from time to time; check out one of the alternate Halkys like a book from a library and return it before the late fee comes due (right after the marathon).

If I can't do that, maybe for the next few months I could transport myself as I am here to one of the other dimensions... make myself the library book in other words. I could head to one where I'm living in California so I could winter train in 60-70 degree weather, or one where junk food is full of complex carbohydrates instead of saturated fats.

And before you say "well, where's the challenge in that?", I think that mastering the space-time continuum would rank as challenging enough and therefore should pardon me for taking a short cut with my running, don't you? No? Well, you run 15 miles on a freezing Monday morning before work and get back to me. You can reach me in Hawaii where I'll be hanging out in one of my alternate realities, drinking a Pina Colada and getting a sports massage from Halle Berry.

No comments: