Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Christmas Eve Log 12/24/08

Distance: 9.39 miles
Time: 1:26:17
Pace: 9:10/mile
Weight: 195lbs
Terrain: Rolling Hills. Thin layer of snow with occasional clear stretches
Temperature: Cold and calm
Gear: Adidas Running Fleece, Long-Sleeved Nike Shirt, Adidas Long Running Pants over Under Armour 'Compression Pants', Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes, Reebok Stocking Cap
Hydration: Water
Fuel: None
Medical: Mild right shin, left ankle
Recovery: Stretches, ice
Shoe Mile Count: 243.94 miles
Days until Marathon: 25


Quite a pleasant day for a run. The air was certainly fresh, but very little wind and clear, sunny skies meant I could leave the heavy hoodie in the car and just run with the light fleece. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground, but footing wasn't really a problem and it actually made for a softer landing, so really not too terrible for the old legs.

My right shin was a bit sore starting out, but eased up after a couple of miles. It's been the one recurring ache I've had during training, which in some ways makes it less worrying when it comes up. If it hasn't escalated to this point, as long as I don't take any unnecessary risks, I think it'll be OK. I also have a good basis for comparison with this one. I've had some painful runs because of it. Today didn't come close to being like one of those, so I barely paid it any heed.

The other issue was when I landed awkwardly and twisted my ankle at about mile 3. Obviously, at the time it was a bit stressful - I almost fell over - but I kept going and after a half mile or so, it felt fine, so I don't think I've done any damage, though some ice might be a good idea to limit any minor swelling.

The pace was around my intended marathon speed again, and really I felt like I could have run a lot faster were I not a) trying to keep myself fresh and b) concentrating on not slipping in the snow. Just about perfect. Over 9 miles - before this began, my all-time furthest distance run - being able to say I had plenty left in the tank at the end gives me a lot of confidence that I'm doing this the right way. Good job really. With only a little over 3 weeks left, it's a bit late to change things now.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: