Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Daily Log 12/4/08

Distance: 4.24 miles
Time: 44:06
Pace: 10:24/mile
Weight: 196lbs
Terrain: Up and down
Temperature: Cold but sunny.

Gear: Long-sleeved Adidas Climacool shirt, Adidas Running Fleece, Reebok stocking cap, Adidas long training pants over Adidas running shorts, Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes
Hydration: None

Fuel: None
Medical: Left calf, right shin
Recovery: Stretches, Aleve, ice
Shoe Mile Count: 144.39 miles
Days until Marathon: 45


I felt my calf right away and was immediately concerned that I hadn't waited long enough before running again, but I took it nice and easy and after the first half mile or so, it loosened up. After that, occasionally my foot would plant in a certain way and I'd feel some stiffness, but this happened less and less as time went on, and it also didn't flare up after the run. A few slower paced runs might be called for, particularly Monday's 16-miler, but I'm definitely encouraged with the progress so far.

The infamous right shin was a little sore for the first mile or so, but it too faded. If anything, I was most concerned about overcompensating because of the calf injury and inadvertantly causing that to flare up, but I kept things slow and made adjustments, and all felt fine afterwards.

It took a certain amount of self-discipline not to run a few extra miles, particularly in what was simply wonderful weather for running. Fortunately common sense and experience told me that would almost certainly be unwise given the events preceding, and so I contented myself with getting through the first run post-injury without any setbacks. If things feel good tomorrow, I'll probably run another 4-5, then rest for another couple of days before going for yet another distance record on Monday.

Please visit my 'Make Cures Happen' fundraising page and make a donation for research into leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Also, check out my blog entry for more.

No comments: