Monday, December 15, 2008

The Pot Pourri

It was so cold last night, some pipes froze, and I'm unable to do any laundry. Although I hope the careful application of space heaters and pleas to the laundry gods will rectify that situation, a more substantial challenge looms. I have 70+ miles scheduled for the next two weeks, the highest volume for any two week period in my training, and as (bad) luck would have it, the forecast is for two straight weeks of freezing temperatures and intermittent snow and ice. Wonderful. Replacing two or three outside runs with treadmill ones won't particularly bother me, but I absolutely need to do my long runs outside, and while I can dress for the cold, the ice makes me very nervous. A running track might be another option, if I can find one that's been cleared of ice, though running 75-80 laps might make my head explode.

----------

I had a brief discussion last night with Jill about hills, specifically uphills. She hates them. They appear to her like a huge enemy army amassing on the horizon. Personally, I enjoy the different challenge they bring. Yes, they slow me down like they slow everyone down, but the extra blood pumping and the feeling of accomplishment as I reach the top of one is when I feel like I'm doing myself the most good, even if that isn't true. Of course, after 10-12 miles, each hill is a big fat injury waiting to happen, so I take care to pay them the necessary respect and never power up them like a cyborg, but nevertheless, after long dull flat sections, there's nothing I like more than a gentle incline to keep things interesting. Here's a hastily assembled haiku on the subject...
Oxygen filled lungs
Hamstrings burn, calves and tendons
What a living hill

----------

I wrote in a prior blog about a guy who'd run every day for 20 years. Turns out he's not alone. In fact, the active streak record holder has hit the road every day for 40 years, 41 days and counting (as of 9/1/08). As I whine about the weather and whether I can get my paltry four runs in this week, I feel rather sheepish when compared to these guys who've undoubtedly battled far worse. I notice one guy high up on the list that lives in Minnesota. What is he, a polar bear? Also interesting, at #9 on the list, a guy from my home town of Overland Park. I suppose luck must play a part in these things to a certain extent. Yes, staying clear of major injuries is impressive enough, but also avoiding non-running accidents and illnesses for that long is as extraordinary. Then again, maybe these people are making their own luck. The very reason they have been able to run every day might simply be because they do run every day.

----------

So far I have managed to raise $555 for 'Make Cures Happen'. As symmetrical as this number might be, I'd really like to shoot for $1,000 by race day, so if you do happen to stumble upon this blog, I'd be indebted to you if you visited my fundraising page and made a donation for research into lymphoma, leukemia and myeloma.

No comments: