Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Daily Log 11/20/08

Distance: 3.01 miles
Time: 25:46
Pace: 8:34/mile
Weight: 197lbs
Terrain: Moderate rolling hills
Temperature: Cold and windy
Gear: Long-sleeved Nike training shirt, Adidas running fleece, K-State stocking cap, Adidas long training pants, Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes
Hydration: None
Fuel: None
Medical: Right shin after the run
Recovery: Stretches, ice, Aleve
Shoe Mile Count: 98.53 miles
Days until Marathon: 59


A cold November day with plenty of wind made this more challenging than I was anticipating. I also inadvertantly ended up on a main road with no sidewalk and, nervous I would get run over, I sped up for a short period so as to return to the quieter streets as quickly as possible. Also, for the third day in a row I tried a new route, although on familiar streets and, as has been the pattern this week, it was far hillier than I'd expected.

Still, I ran pretty fast - hopefully not too fast - and wasn't overly tired at the end, though my right shin was rather sore (it wasn't a factor during the run, but immediately after it did throb somewhat). I won't be running again until the race, and, knock on wood, I feel like I've put in the work for it to be a successful endeavor.

Barring a race cancellation, or some catastrophic injury (nothing like thinking positive huh?), 72 hours from now, my first half-marathon will be in the books, and I will be eating my favorite post-race meal of French toast and bacon at First Watch. Now there's a reason to run.

No comments: