Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Ultimate Goal

As of yesterday, I am officially signed up as a participant in the 6th annual PF Chang's Rock n' Roll Arizona Marathon. Jill also signed up for the half.

I read that they are expecting 34,000 total runners. I knew it was a big marathon, but am actually quite surprised it's that huge. I think only Chicago and New York are bigger in the US. This almost certainly means I won't come dead last, which is a nice bonus.

It cost $112.50 including the booking fee, and another $97 for Jill. The bigger marathons do cost a little more, though this is rather high, even for them. The fee does include a concert in the evening, headliner to be announced later. (Past acts include Kool and the Gang and the Goo Goo Dolls), and of course, the usual t-shirt, medal and gift certificates.

Whatever's in the goodie bag though, it might be a bit odd to running skeptics to understand the thought process behind paying a significant sum of money for the right to beat up your body in such a way. I suppose it's like heavy metal music, quantum physics, or 30 Rock. Either you get it or you don't. Myself? I'm one of the weirdos who's more than a little excited at the prospect. Training's going pretty well, I'm losing (a little) weight, and the days are ticking by.

No comments: