Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Daily Log 11/2/08

Distance: 10.41 miles
Time: 1:39:52
Pace: 9:34/mile
Weight: 198lbs
Terrain: Mainly flat, with a couple of moderate inclines
Temperature: Warm and sunny
Gear: Adidas Climacool t-shirt and shorts, Road Runners Cap, Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes
Hydration: Water
Fuel: None
Medical: None
Recovery: Stretches, Aleve, ice, menthol rub
Shoe Mile Count: 39.22 miles
Days until Marathon: 77


You'll notice that the distance was longer than the planned 9 miles. When I totaled up the mileage on the route, it came to about 9 1/3 miles, so I decided early that if I felt good at that point, I'd make it up to 10. I did, so added a little loop that ended up being close to an extra mile, so there's the total. My longest run ever, and my first of over 10 miles.

Right away I felt good, and this was without doubt my most comfortable run since the marathon relay. I've learned not to get too happy when I run well. I suppose what this tells me is that, given how much I struggled on Thursday, I should try not to get too down when I don't. My right shin was strong, the lightning storm of pain the other day was just a distant rumble of thunder today, and nothing else hurt at all.

Jill joined me for the middle couple of miles but struggled in the heat and with the hills and ended up heading for home while I continued on. I had to slow and walk a couple of times while she was with me, and catching up, and so this was a slower section, but I regained my rhythm soon after and ran some of my faster miles afterwards to finish with a pretty good pace.

I was glad I chose a route I was very familiar with. After doing a new run on Thursday and facing unexpected hills, I didn't want any surprises today. In addition, I knew more or less where my mile splits were, so strategically it made for a much easier time.

One thing that I do need to be cognizant of during these longer distances is fluid intake. I drank a bottle of water at around the 4-5 mile mark, but I could definitely have done with another one, particularly on such a warm day. As the mileage increases further, that will become increasingly important.

Jill was disheartened over her struggles and I felt bad for her, knowing exactly how she felt. However, as I explained, running's a bit like golf. There, nothing makes you feel better than a good shot, and nothing makes you feel worse than a bad one. It's the same with runs. I was on a high today, for sure, but was very worried and unhappy after Thursday's. Jill will have better runs than today and I will have worse ones, but as long as there's enough of the good ones to keep us going, we'll make it to Arizona ready to go.

No comments: