Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Packet Pickup

When you run in an organized race, you're usually required to attend a "packet pickup" a day or two before. Packets usually consist of your race number, some sort of timing device (usually a chip or an electronic tag), a few flyers for racing products or future events, some product samples, and the official race t-shirt, which these days is pretty much a staple of any reputable run.

For bigger events, packet pickup is usually accompanied by an "expo" where multiple vendors try to sell you run-related gear at booths and stalls, and guest speakers are hired to motivate and advertise. The bigger the event, the bigger the expo, and the bigger the venue. The Arizona marathon has a convention hall booked for two or three entire days to accomodate the traffic.

For something like the Gobbler Grind, while not miniscule in size (between the three events, I believe there will be something in the region of 2,000 entrants), packet pickup is basically just that. No frills. It was held in a hotel corridor and meeting room, and the "goody bag" consisted of the usual stuff; no more, no less.

Still, while the ra-ra extravagance of the big-marathon expo may not have been there, the process was efficient and well organized. The t-shirt which, happily, I had no trouble getting in my size, was a bright yellow long-sleeved tech shirt I was fairly impressed with. The chip-test went fine, and I even got a couple of bonus items - A Gobbler Grind running cap, which I received for bringing a toy in for a toys-for-tots charity program; and, as reward for adding my email to a mailing list, a Hospital Hill Run tech shirt from the one and only "booth" present. It proudly states that "I conquered the hill" in 2008, when I don't even know what hill they're talking about, but if it wicks sweat, I don't care if I misrepresent myself.

So there it is. I am trained, I have my t-shirt, and tomorrow I will line up as runner #945 for the 12th Annual Gobbler Grind. I will admit that, even though this race is just the "opening act" for the main event in January, I am nervous and excited. I've never run 13.1 miles in any setting before, nor have I ever run for two straight hours, which, even if things go perfectly, I will come very close to doing. It's a brand new experience, and has all the butterflies and anticipation that the unknown brings with it.

Wish me luck!

No comments: