Friday, November 28, 2008

The Monthly Log 11/28/08

Number of Runs: 16
Total Distance: 96.11 miles
Total Time: 15:11:55
Longest Run: 13.11 miles
Avg Distance: 6.01 miles
Avg Time: 57:00
Avg Pace: 9:29/mile
Medical: Shins, calves, tight hamstrings, left heel
Events: Gobbler Grind (1/2 marathon 11/23), Thanksgiving Fun Run (5k 11/27)
Days Until Marathon: 49 (from Sunday 11/30)


A big month full of new distance records, two races, and generally good health. I was half-tempted to go out and run an extra 4 miles just to get over the 100 mile barrier, but good sense prevailed. Were I running my long run as usual on Sunday, I'd surpass that mark easily, but as previously noted, that's not going to be possible, so I suppose I'll get a jump on December instead.

In terms of injuries, I feel better now than I did at the end of October. Back then, my right shin was quite painful and I was concerned shin splints were knocking at the door, but due to proper stretching, ice, Aleve and (most of the time) common sense, it has remained mostly a dull background pain. My calves and hamstrings have suffered from occasional tightness, but here too, they have remained mostly minor niggles that haven't escalated to anything more serious.

My average pace is thirty seconds quicker than it was a month ago, which I expected. I did run quicker than I probably should have a few times, including a PR over 10k, and of course, the pretty swift Gobbler, but I feel like I sprinkled in enough recovery runs to offset that. I was, on the other hand, quite surprised to see that my average run time was almost an hour. I'd only run for an hour or more a few times in my life before this past month, and now that's simply my average. I've yet to crack the 2 hour mark however, a landmark I'll hopefully add to my collection on Monday.

Race-wise, this was my biggest month ever. The Gobbler Grind was a high I have revisited in my mind many times since, and has stoked the fires for Arizona. The only possible downside to the race was that first mile with all the people cutting across and making it hard for me to find my rhythm. While that didn't amount to anything this time, Arizona's 10 times the size of this race, so I'm a little nervous that it will be even crazier. I'm just hoping the wider roads and better organization will offset the larger number of runners. However great the marathon ends up being though, what the Grind did more than anything was make me realize that I'm someone who will be equally happy running smaller races as big ones, which will give me a lot more flexibility for my future running endeavors. It also, of course, provided me with the confidence that I'm capable of running, and running well, over significant distances.

The 5k at Thanksgiving, by contrast, was quite a different experience. This race made me thankful (sic) I have a partner in this running lark. Jill got me into running again when she suggested I run the Komen 5k with her, and the fact that she is not only coming with me, but competing herself (in the half) while in Arizona adds to the anticipation. I enjoyed helping her attain her PR and seeing her reaction when she realized just how fast she had actually run. She is already suggesting it become a Thanksgiving tradition for us.

Most importantly, I am 7 weeks from the marathon carrying no major injuries. Although I rearranged a couple of runs, I didn't miss a single planned training run this month due to either injury or the weather, and, in a nice bonus, since August I have now lost some 14 pounds. There's a lot to be thankful for.

Hopefully the next monthly log will be as positive as this one(it better be, I'll only be 18 days from race day by then!)

No comments: