Monday, October 6, 2008

The Basic Plot

So here, as promised, is the basic premise..

The players:
Halkzibit: Your protagonist. Your hero. The man with the plan. And no, to the doubters, it isn't a mid-life crisis propelling me towards wanting to endure four plus hours of pain for a t-shirt and a banana, it's simply the final realization of a lifelong ambition. From my youth running cross-country for my high school and watching people dressed as waiters, gorillas and Margaret Thatchers running by the Thames and Westminster Abbey in the early years of the London Marathon, it's just something that "looked like fun". Charmingly enthusiastic, or woefully naive?



Jillzibit: Your protagonist's girlfriend. The love interest. The running partner. All being well, when I do my first marathon, she'll do her first half, and there'll be a ride into the sunset (because neither of us will be able to walk)



Meadow: My dog. A pointer mix, and easily the fastest of the major players, her average mile pace is matched only by her IQ... 6.






Olive: Jillzibit's shih-tzu. Smarter and feistier than her bigger pal, but without the endless desire to chase her own tail and run into glass doors. More likely to go scuba diving than run two miles without collapsing in exhaustion.

The path:
You will join me while I train, complain and go insane over the next 3 or so months.

The suspense:
This isn't the first time I've trained for a marathon, but injuries stopped me the first time. Will I make it this time?

The payoff:
The Rock n' Roll marathon in Phoenix, AZ January 18, 2009.

Let's get ready to run-ble. (Yeah, they're not all gems).

No comments: