Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Misty Achilles

No running last night. Can't miss Monday Night Football after all.

Well, actually, apparently I can, as Jillzibit managed to sneak into the living room with her toasted ravioli platter and clumsy remote control skills before I had a chance to secure the rights to my excessively large HDTV. As a result, I was, at first unwillingly, but later quite happily, suckered into a viewing of Dancing with the Stars, complete with Cloris Leachman sniffing the pretend farts of her partner (that old choreography staple (???)) and, in the worst kept secret in entertainment over the past few days, the "revelation" of Misty May-Treanor's torn achilles.

Inspiring when a world-class athlete (and Jillzibit idol) seriously injures herself while performing a jive isn't it? Anyway, I thought I'd find out more about the achilles as it's a tendon that, if you tear it, can not only end a marathon training attempt, but render a trip to the bathroom a major challenge. There's some good info here about it, but suffice to say, if you hurt it, you're buggered. Proper stretching and not treading awkwardly on potholes are good ways to avoid.

I read somewhere recently that the hard part isn't getting to the finish line of a marathon, it's getting to the start line. It's going to be a long few weeks of cold runs, sore legs and stressful thoughts.

I can't wait.

No comments: