Friday, October 17, 2008

The Twist

Just heard from my pal who was (note past tense) to run the first leg. Apparently, both he, and the third leg runner, have decided that spending their Saturday morning plodding through Kansas City isn't high on their list of wishes, and have found replacements to run their segments. This means that I will actually only know one of the other relay runners, an odd situation.

I had been hopeful I might be running one of the faster relay segments, but I'm informed that the third leg runner is a 7-8 minute/mile runner, and the first leg runner, while he will pass off the chip to me at the designated point, will continue to run for another three miles or so (because evidently the first leg isn't enough running for him). So now I've turned from being potentially the fastest of the four runners to maybe one of the slowest.

Dented ego aside, I'm still looking forward to the experience and the atmosphere, and my legs feel pretty good today, so I'm quite excited. Also, the reward for running hard tomorrow will be 2-3 days off, so it's all systems go.

The expo and packet pickup is tonight, so I'm sure I'll write more later.

No comments: