Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Demon Shin Splints

No running today. My right shin has been sore all day, and I'm starting to worry it's the onset of shin splints. It's not anywhere near as bad as the last time I had them, but I could well be on a slippery slope if I don't take action, so I'm going to take each day as it comes for a while.

Of course, rest is the main treatment, so a few days off might be warranted, but on the other hand, I still need to train, so it's definitely a balancing act. What I really want to keep doing is my weekend long runs, even if I miss some of the shorter ones mid-week.

One thing is for sure; the article I read saying that it's harder to get to the marathon start line than it is the finish line is proving more than prophetic.

Jill and I are going to start a diet on Thursday. I've never had much luck with diets. I've lost weight before, but usually because of working out, or, sometimes, stress. Problem is, these injuries make me think that unless I drop some poundage, they're going to continue to pop up. So despite my cynicism, I am willing to give it a whirl. Maybe having a "partner" will be the impetus I need.

In fact, how about I document my weight loss progress on this blog? Would you like that? Oh, you're not listening are you? Fine, my imaginary friend, but here's the goal anyway.... 20 pounds by race day. 12 and a half weeks. 89 days. 1.7 pounds per week. 0.22 pounds per day. Possible, yes. Probable?

Jill is going to bring her accurate scale over on Thursday, so in my usual nerdish fashion, I'll begin the stat-keeping then.

No comments: