Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Daily Log 10/7/08

Note: I've actually been running 20 or so miles per week for the last 6 weeks or so, the longest single run being 7.5 miles. However, yesterday I put together an actual honest-to-goodness training schedule that will hopefully get me from here to 'zona, somewhat modified, but using a lot of the same principles as Hal Higdon in his excellent online training program. So with that said, here's the stats.

Distance: 3.08 miles
Time: 30:02 minutes
Pace: 9:45/mile
Weight: 200lbs
Terrain: Hills are unavoidable where I live, but this little 5k wasn't particularly intense
Temperature: Perfect running weather. Cool and calm.
Gear: Adidas running shorts, Asics Gel Nimbus shoes,
Iron Maiden t-shirt
Hydration: None
Fuel: None
Medical: Minor left shin ache, knees felt a little stiff.
Recovery: Stretches, two
Aleve, ice for the shin

This was a great little run. Other than one little 2 miler next week before the KC relay, this will be the last time I will run less than 4 miles until the week of the marathon (barring something unforeseen). My main goal was to control my pace. I can run a 5k at a little over 8 minute/mile pace, but I wanted to run much slower, at or near my projected marathon pace, and I was able to do that. Other than next week's race, I plan to run at this pace or slower from here until race day. With any luck, this will help keep the shin splints under control.

No comments: