Friday, October 10, 2008

The Burger and Beer Night

No running today. It's a friend's birthday tonight, which means burgers and beer. Yes, I should probably be watching my diet a little more given my current quest, but I gots ta live my life, no? I'm not trying to be the next Haile Gebrselassie here, after all. Plus the Merkt's Cheddar spread that McCoy's puts on their burgers is as irresistible to me as an aphid's honedew is to an ant. (I just watched Life In The Undergrowth on Discovery. Shoot me.)

Moving on, the Chicago Marathon is this weekend, and, after the debacle of 2007 where unseasonably warm temperatures and understocked aid stations led to people collapsing from heat exhaustion, one runner's death and, ultimately, race officials calling off the race altogether, many adjustments have been made to make the marathon safer should heat again be a factor. If I can get up on time, I plan on watching it live to see if my guy Daniel Njenga (he's been "my guy" since I watched the brilliant and inspirational documentary 'The Spirit of the Marathon' a few days ago) can finally improve on all his 2nd and 3rd place finishes to cross the line first this time.

No comments: