Monday, October 20, 2008

The Mentalist

Down day yesterday. I did go for a brief walk/jog to road test the new shoes. They are very springy. We'll see how they do on a real run tomorrow, I'm taking today off too.

I have been debating whether to throw in another tuneup between now and January, specifically the Gobbler Grind Half-Marathon in late November, right here in my home town of Overland Park. Problem is, I am supposed to be out of town that weekend, so there may need to be some juggling.

I am finding that running, particularly when you have set goals in mind, such as races, can be rather consuming, mentally. I'm not sure if this is a novelty thing that will gradually wear off or if this is how it always is, but I've found myself lying awake at night thinking about the 'next run' quite a lot recently, and Jill and I seem to be constantly talking about one running related topic or another. I'm already trying to fit this Overland Park race in, and I'm even looking past Arizona and wondering what the next challenge should be if that all goes as planned.

In the back of my mind, I'm also aware of how one overuse injury, or one step in a pothole could derail my attempts indefinitely. I consider how I really need to lose 20 or 30 pounds to give myself more of a runner's frame, and reduce the strain on my knees, calves, shins, feet etc. etc. Then I find myself wondering, if I do lose some weight, and training continues to go well, how fast could I be? If I really start taking it seriously, could I one day qualify for Boston? What would that be like?

All these thoughts go through my mind, some of which I act on more than others (obviously). I suppose it's a better obsession than some, but still... it's not like I'm going to be an Olympian any time soon. Maybe some perspective?

No comments: