Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Daily Log 10/23/08

Distance: 3.18 miles
Time: 29:43
Pace: 9:20/mile
Weight: 200lbs
Terrain: Fairly flat, gentle hills
Temperature: Cold and calm.
Gear: Adidas long training pants, Long-sleeved wicking t-shirt, Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes
Hydration: None
Fuel: None
Medical: Sore right shin, tight left calf
Recovery: Stretches, Aleve, ice, menthol rub

Back to the roads today. I thought about doing 4 miles, but ultimately decided 3 was enough. I warmed up for 10 minutes on the bike before the run, and warmed down for another 6 or so afterwards. It certainly helped me acclimatize quickly to the colder weather outside, and also aided my legs somewhat, which didn't feel as bad as I thought they might.

My right shin was still sore though, and my left calf has been tight the last couple of runs. I'm not going to run again until Sunday night, where I will attempt my long run of 8 miles. That should be a good measuring stick as to how well I'm going to hold up, or if more time off is going to be necessary. These next few weeks are crucial. If I'm going to rest, now is the time to do it.

Leaving aside the injuries, I felt a bit heavy in general today. Mentally this is a challenging time. I have no confirmed races any time soon, other than the Thanksgiving 5k which I will probably just jog around with Jill on - the Gobbler Grind Half is very much up in the air due to prior commitments that weekend - and with my legs already hurting, it just seems like such a long road to January. The bike will help me keep fit but it's not going to be enough to just bike all the time and then hope I can run 26 miles. That and the weather starting to get unpleasant is going to make all runs more difficult, and, as importantly, less enjoyable.

No comments: