Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Daily Log 10/14/08

Distance: 4.04 miles
Time: 38:00
Pace: 9:24/mile
Weight: 199lbs
Terrain: Few Rolling Hills
Temperature: Crisp and calm
Gear: Adidas shorts, Asics Gel Nimbus shoes, Adidas Climacool long-sleeved running shirt
Hydration: None
Fuel: None
Medical: Rather stiff during warmups, but no issues during the run itself
Recovery: Stretches, ice

Can I just say that I think that I've hated the first mile of every run I've ever done? I am consoled by the fact that I've read even some professional distance runners also dislike the first few minutes of every race. There's a transition the body makes before it starts efficiently burning fuel and has adapted to the exercise, and for me, that seems to usually take about a mile to a mile and a half. After that, things usually loosen up, and today was no exception.

I was a little concerned that I might struggle today. Last night, I strained my left calf while trying to adjust myself from an awkward sitting position. I was very stiff the rest of the evening and it carried over into the morning. However, once I was warmed up, I really didn't notice it, so it looks like all systems are go.

Lots of dogs barking today. That might be the one good thing about it getting colder... dogs staying indoors. One took me by such surprise, I said a swear word and wished it pain. I'm sure it was high comedy for the passing cars.

No comments: